[Debian-med-packaging] environment modules for Debian Med

Charles Plessy charles-listes-med-packaging at plessy.org
Fri Sep 18 06:33:50 UTC 2015

Le Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 06:14:13PM +0200, Vincent Danjean a écrit :

>   For me, using environment modules *at a distribution level* means
> that we failed to correctly integrate the packaged software in Debian.

Hi Vincent and everybody,

Debian never wanted to implement namespaces at its core, so we need a solution
as the blend level, and it seems to me that environment modules would be a good
solution to provide programs under their original name.  Take "plink" for
instance, that is provided by the "plink" and "putty-tools" packages.
Environment modules would be a good solution to provide a one-step assurance
that, if there was a name conflict between a program related to bioinformatics
and one that is not, then the bioinformatics one will have precedence in the
PATH.

(In parallel, I wonder if there would be something to do where a package would
be downloaded from backports.d.o unpacked somewhere and made available through
an environment module.  For simple packages like bwa, samtools, etc, it may
work and be useful).

Have a nice day,

Charles

--