[Debian-med-packaging] New version of vsearch (1.4) (Was: Debian package for vsearch)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Sep 29 07:37:57 UTC 2015

Hi Torbjørn,

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 03:31:24PM +0200, Torbjørn Rognes wrote:
> I would just like to inform you that we have recently released a brand new version of vsearch, version 1.4.0, available on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/torognes/vsearch <https://github.com/torognes/vsearch>
>
> It includes a number of new features and bug fixes compared to 1.1.3 which you earlier packaged for Debian Med.

Thanks for your information.

> We now use an autotools build system and have also made other changes that hopefully will simplify downstream integration.

Yes, this in fact simplifies the packaging.  I was able to drop some
build specific things from the packaging.

> Please note that vsearch requires zlib version 1.2.4 or later to be able to read gzipped files. It will automatically detect the presence of the required zlib (libz) and bzip2lib (libbz2) libraries and header files and include support if present.

That's fine.

> It requires libcrypto as well (not optional).

I guess you mean libssl-dev - at least this is the Build-Dependency I
needed to add since a header file was missing.

> The licensing has changed: vsearch is now available under a dual license, either the GNU GPL 3 or the BSD 2-clause license.

I adapted the debian/copyright file accordingly.  I decided for
BSD-2clause license since otherwise lintian (or policy checker) is
throwing possible-gpl-code-linked-with-openssl error.

> Do not hesitate to contact me if you have questions or to suggestion changes to vsearch.

I have a problem to run the test suite.  Formerly the download tarball
contained the full data set for testing vsearch.  Usually the build
process is calling also the test target (make check) and this fails due
to missing data in ../../vsearch-data.

Since we try or best to test the software we are packaging it would be
great to have this test option (at package build time and also in
periodic tests of the Debian package pool).  So if you could provide
may be an alternative download tarball containing a possibly stripped
down data set to fulfill a reasonable test requirement this would be
really helpful.

Kind regards and thanks for your notification about the new version