[Debian-med-packaging] New version of vsearch (1.4) (Was: Debian package for vsearch)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Tue Sep 29 13:49:00 UTC 2015

Hi Torbjørn,

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 03:33:45PM +0200, Torbjørn Rognes wrote:
> > I adapted the debian/copyright file accordingly.  I decided for
> > BSD-2clause license since otherwise lintian (or policy checker) is
> > throwing possible-gpl-code-linked-with-openssl error.
>
> I was not aware of the license issues with openssl and GPL.
>
> We are only using the MD5 and SHA1 digest functions in the crypto/openssl libraries. I will probably insert some public domain code for these functions in the future to get rid of the dependencies and complicated licensing issues.

>From my point of view simply choosing the BSD-2-clause license is the
simplest solution for a long discussion - feel free to seek for
openssl+GPL on Debian mailing lists if you want to spent some time into
it.

> > Since we try or best to test the software we are packaging it would be
> > great to have this test option (at package build time and also in
> > periodic tests of the Debian package pool).  So if you could provide
> > may be an alternative download tarball containing a possibly stripped
> > down data set to fulfill a reasonable test requirement this would be
> > really helpful.
>
> You’ll find the test data in the vsearch-data repo on GitHub:
>
> https://github.com/torognes/vsearch-data <https://github.com/torognes/vsearch-data>
>
> We decided to split the repo to reduce the size of the repo with the source.

I perfectly understood this (where to find the data as well as I assumed
the reason for this).  I would have the option to construct a new
tarball incorporating the code plus the data.  However, this is only the
second best solution compared to simply download an official tarball.
So I wonder whether you are interested in possibly providing a tarball
(may be xz or bz2 compressed which reduces the size drastically) may be
under the name vsearch+data-<version>.tar.xz.  If you would do this it
would be a slight comfort for me but I could also cope with the
situation in case you simply confirm that you do not intend to do so.

> Thank you for making a vsearch package for Debian.

You are welcome