[Debian-med-packaging] New version of vsearch (1.4) (Was: Debian package for vsearch)

Torbjørn Rognes torognes at ifi.uio.no
Tue Sep 29 15:01:28 UTC 2015

>>> Since we try or best to test the software we are packaging it would be
>>> great to have this test option (at package build time and also in
>>> periodic tests of the Debian package pool).  So if you could provide
>>> may be an alternative download tarball containing a possibly stripped
>>> down data set to fulfill a reasonable test requirement this would be
>>> really helpful.
>>
>> You’ll find the test data in the vsearch-data repo on GitHub:
>>
>> https://github.com/torognes/vsearch-data <https://github.com/torognes/vsearch-data>
>>
>> We decided to split the repo to reduce the size of the repo with the source.
>
> I perfectly understood this (where to find the data as well as I assumed
> the reason for this).  I would have the option to construct a new
> tarball incorporating the code plus the data.  However, this is only the
> second best solution compared to simply download an official tarball.
> So I wonder whether you are interested in possibly providing a tarball
> (may be xz or bz2 compressed which reduces the size drastically) may be
> under the name vsearch+data-<version>.tar.xz.  If you would do this it
> would be a slight comfort for me but I could also cope with the
> situation in case you simply confirm that you do not intend to do so.

I have made a release in the vsearch-data repo that includes the data files compressed with gzip, zip as well as bz2 and xz. The xz compressed file is still about 75MB, but most of the files are required to run the vsearch tests. That is what I can provide for now. Hopefully we can provide a better set of test scripts and smaller test datasets in the future.

Best wishes

- Torbjørn