[Debian-med-packaging] [devteam-bioc] Failures in test suites of some BioConductor packages

Martin Morgan martin.morgan at roswellpark.org
Fri Apr 29 09:32:15 UTC 2016

Hi Andreas --

Yes, in principle, these would be helpful, but see below

On 04/29/2016 02:28 AM, Maintainer wrote:
> Hi BioConductor maintainers,
>
> most of the BioConductor packages inside Debian are running the test
> suite regularly as part of a Continuous Integration[1] effort.  I realised
> that some packages are failing and I wonder how we could ideally deal with

In each of these, you're using the release candidate (R-3.3.0 series) of
R, but the already released version 3.2 of Bioconductor. Bioconductor
3.2 is meant to work with the R-3.2.* series.

Bioconductor has a release (3.3) timed immediately after R's

     http://bioconductor.org/developers/release-schedule/

The protocol that we follow is to impose a code freeze (too loosely
observed) on trunk, and to branch immediately before release (May 3). So
the relevant packages are those in the current Bioc-devel. You can
compare your builds with our nightly builds on the devel branch at

     http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/

> this.  I'd like to provide you with a set of packages and the link to the
> log of the failure:
>
>     bioMart:
>       https://ci.debian.net/data/packages/unstable/amd64/r/r-bioc-biomart/20160428_233412.autopkgtest.log.gz

This is a result of a web service query. The web service is (or was at
the time of the build) not responding correctly; the error is likely
transient; it was seen in our own nightly build
http://bioconductor.org/checkResults/devel/bioc-LATEST/biomaRt/zin2-buildsrc.html.

>     GenomicAlignments:
>       https://ci.debian.net/data/packages/unstable/amd64/r/r-bioc-genomicalignments/20160429_032733.autopkgtest.log.gz

This is a result of a change in an underlying package (BiocParallel),
and was fixed by version 1.7.8,

r111667 | mtmorgan at fhcrc.org | 2015-12-19 14:18:52 -0500 (Sat, 19 Dec
2015) | 2 lines
Changed paths:
    M /trunk/madman/Rpacks/GenomicAlignments/DESCRIPTION
/trunk/madman/Rpacks/GenomicAlignments/inst/unitTests/test_readGAlignments.R

cleanup: update unit test for BiocParallel changes

>     RSamtools:
>       https://ci.debian.net/data/packages/unstable/amd64/r/r-bioc-rsamtools/20160429_033451.autopkgtest.log.gz

This no longer occurs, although I am not sure exactly which commit fixed
the issue; I think it was in Rsamtools 1.23.1

r110234 | mtmorgan at fhcrc.org | 2015-11-02 19:53:29 -0500 (Mon, 02 Nov
2015) | 4
lines
Changed paths:
    M /trunk/madman/Rpacks/Rsamtools/DESCRIPTION
    M /trunk/madman/Rpacks/Rsamtools/inst/unitTests/test_utilities.R
    M /trunk/madman/Rpacks/Rsamtools/src/samtools_patch.c

fail on knet_connect_file error, instead of warning

- introduces small memory leak in C

>     ShortRead:
>       https://ci.debian.net/data/packages/unstable/amd64/r/r-bioc-shortread/20160429_002544.autopkgtest.log.gz

This was fixed in ShortRead version 1.29.1 with

r109902 | mtmorgan at fhcrc.org | 2015-10-25 02:13:12 -0400 (Sun, 25 Oct
2015) | 4
lines
Changed paths:
    M /trunk/madman/Rpacks/ShortRead/DESCRIPTION
    M /trunk/madman/Rpacks/ShortRead/R/readAligned.R

unname colClasses in read.table

- probably a bug introduced into R-devel

> The log contains the packages and the versions installed and the failure
> that occured on a machine which has only these packages installed and is
> not connected to the internet.

biomaRt will always fail, then.