[Debian-med-packaging] Fwd: Biopython 1.68 released

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Aug 29 10:37:13 UTC 2016

Hi Peter,

On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 11:14:56AM +0100, Peter Cock wrote:
> Dear Debian-Med, and Andreas in particular,
>
> This is to let you know we've released Biopython 1.68, and would
> be grateful if you could update the Debian Biopython package:

Thanks for the information.  I'll work on this.

> I'm not aware of any changes which will directly affect the
> packaging, however minor issues have come to light with
> some of the third party binary tests using PAML:
>
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/923

We can not yet test PAML since it is not yet in official Debian.  While
upstream confirmed that he intends to GPL the software he admitted to be
very slow in just changing the web site specifying the license (in
principle the change of one sentence on a HTML page would be sufficient)
[1].  I have no idea if other people would ping might increase the
motivation to do the change or steals more "time" (to do a one sentence
change). :-(

> And PhyML:
>
> https://github.com/biopython/biopython/issues/921
> https://github.com/stephaneguindon/phyml/issues/38

I had some other issues with PhyML and thus the Debian package is not
following the latest upstream release[2].

So possibly those two issues will not affect the Debian packaging but
the hints are pretty welcome for sure in any case.

> As usual, if you do find any other issues, especially from changes
> to the tool we test with, we're happy to get your useful feedback.

I'll keep you informed about any issues.

Thanks for the information

      Andreas.

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/pamlsoftware/NFu_lNBoAEA
[2] https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-med-packaging/2016-August/045422.html