[Debian-med-packaging] translating package description of emboss-lib

plessy at debian.org plessy at debian.org
Thu Jan 28 14:48:16 UTC 2016

Le Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:41:22PM +0200, Michael Crusoe a écrit :
> Dear Laura Arjona Reina,
>
> Thank you for your translation work!
>
> That sentence should probably read "should be considered"; they are indeed
> "private as
> in public/private classes in object oriented programming".

Hi Laura, Michael and everybody,

if I remember well, we added this sentence some time ago as a compromise with
the Release team, which was unhappy with the fact that we were distributing the
EMBOSS libraries in /usr/lib, while not supporting their use for programs not
related to EMBOSS.  (Not that there was any evidence that anybody intended to
do so, but it was a matter of principle).  On the other hand, moving them
outside /usr/lib was a lot of extra work.  Hence the compromise.

This was long time ago and now that EMBOSS has aged, I would really expect that
nobody would start to use blindly these libraries to develop new programs
while there is no new release and the upstream mailing list is quite un-lively.

So altogether, how about dropping this sentence from the description and
(pre-emptively) from the translations ?  I think that it brings only confusion.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles