[Debian-med-packaging] Help needed for gatk

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Jan 29 21:36:00 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew,

On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 10:44:07AM -0800, Andrew Schurman wrote:

> Based on the history of the repo, it appears to be the same project by
> the same author. I don't think it's too much of a stretch to use this
> new repo. If you want to be extra cautious, you could compare source of
> the sources.jar in maven central to one of the old tags in github to
> see if there are any significant changes.
>
> In fact, I believe most debian projects use a slightly different
> version of plugins than what is called for in the project so that we
> can deploy a single version in debian. Sometimes this means security
> fixes. Other times, there is no benefit.

OK, I admit I have also a better feeling when using the latest version.
So I'll change the packaging to use this.

> >   Or may be I should write a d/watch
> > file containing
> >

> >    https://github.com/davidB/scala-maven-plugin/releases?after=3.1.1
> > .*/archive/v*(2\.[\d.-]+)\.(?:tar(?:\.gz|\.bz2)?|tgz)
> >

> > which is a bit weak but fetches (at least at this point in time) the
> > latest version of scala-maven-plugin 2.x - which seems to be the old
> > version you were suggesting to use.
>
> The purpose of the watch file is to check for new releases.

Sure.

> I believe
> github releases are ordered by date, so you'll have to remove the
> ?after=3.1.1. If the author happens create a hotfix 2.x branch and
> another release, you'll miss it since the new release would be before
> (date ordered) 3.1.1.

Yes, I tried to mention this very weak hack in a remark.  My assumption
was based on the hope that hotfixes on 2.x are not very probable.

> I don't have any better ideas for you. It sounds like a good approach
> to me. You could also send a patch upstream to upgrade to the latest
> scala-maven-plugin which means less smoke and mirrors in the future.

I'll just try with the latest scala-maven-plugin and will ask here
for help (as always if I might run into heavy problems.

Thanks for your comments