[Debian-med-packaging] Sponsoring many uploads

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Mar 17 21:24:42 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 09:16:17PM +0000, Mattia Rizzolo wrote:

> > I simply set my preference onto Debian
> > Med sponsering.  I also "invented" a way to pick general Blends RFS out
> > of the dust by "Sponsering of Blends"[1].
>
> tbh, I don't see a wiki page that efficient (yes, I was already aware of
> that page).

No, its not efficient and I did not wanted to declare this as a
solution.  It was rather my attempt to make more people aware of the
Blends concept and I had no better idea than this.

> > On the other hand
> > I'm really happy about the fact that kind of a niche topic in the Debian
> > universe is covered by this amount of manpower.
>
> it's not: nearly nobody (apart me and Gianfranco, mainly) keeps a
> costant eye over RFSes.  Inside some teams may be very easy to find a
> sponsor (like in the perl team, or in this, where you keep up
> magnifically with all the requests), but outside a team is very very
> hard to find a sponsor.

Yes.  That's why also the SoB page is refering to a team first.  Its my
general advise to first find a fitting team (even if not all teams seem
to work similarly good).

> > If I'm not misleaded you do not have a background in the fields we are
> > working on, right?
>
> yes indeed.  I'm a computer engineering *student*, and I have no
> relation whatsoever with bioinformatics.
> My main reason to join this (and -science) team was to do QA work,
> mainly when a given package is blocking something (a transition, or a
> removal, or a migration, whatever).
> I hope you don't mind helping out with some sponsoring work too :)

I think I explained the contrary before:  Its really apreciated and we
could find even more people like you to work down our whole bug list.
I somehow thinking about declaring April as "bug fixing month" to push
our bug count down again.  The Advent bug squashing party worked well
but I have the feeling that we always receive more bugs than we are
fixing.