[Debian-med-packaging] Sponsoring many uploads

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Sun Mar 27 15:54:44 UTC 2016

Hi Afif,

On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 02:56:30PM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> >> I find the RFSes very efficient with this workflow (as I just archive
> >> the mails for new RFS and when I'm in sponsoring moods I just haed over
> >> bugs.d.o/sponsorship-requests), but it has the downside of using the BTS
> >> which is really not the nicest thing to deal with, especially for quick
> >> packages where
> >
> > For me more importantly it has the effect that our team RFS just end up
> > in the huge amount of other RFS.  I simply set my preference onto Debian
> > Med sponsering.
>
> I actually really like using the BTS to keep track of tasks. We could
> have a much shorter RFS bug template for the Debian Med team that would
> automatically set the owner as
> debian-med-packaging at lists.alioth.debian.org --- this would still direct
> the emails to us. When someone wants to take over sponsoring, he resets
> the owner to be himself. In all cases, it's very clear who's responsible
> for doing the task [1].
>
> What do you all think?

I admit that I prefer in principle following widely accepted procedures
and thus I shuold consequently agree to the BTS usage as it is done for
sponsoring in Debian.  On the other hand I try to keep the effort low
for a single sponsored upload.  If I should deal with BTS I would need
to send an additional mail to BTS to request the ownership after having
checked that the bug is not owned by somebody else and also need to wait
until BTS will confirm my ownership (sometimes BTS is a bit slow).

What if we try the following alternative first:  A sponsor just answers
the request on the mailing list "I'll take it (fully/in parts)" and
potential other sponsor will see this on the same channel-  A racing
condition will be solved by what mail reached the list first (or some of
the sponsors might step back).

I'd withdraw my suggestion if we have three racing conditions causing
useless work for some of us until May 1st. :-)

Opinions?  May be we should also sneak into the workflows of other teams
- pkg-perl team has always proven to be a team we can learn from.