[Debian-med-packaging] updating camitk package

Mattia Rizzolo mattia at debian.org
Wed Oct 5 21:29:55 UTC 2016

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 04:55:41PM +0200, Emmanuel Promayon wrote:
> > Well, the "renaming the -dev" business is fine indeed, that's just
> > perfect. There are no reverse-depends within debian, right?
>
> Thank you for the review.
> There are two reverse-depends: "apt-cache rdepends
> libqtpropertybrowser4-dev" obviously gives "libcamitk4-dev" as a reverse
> dependency, and "apt-cache rdepends  libcamitk4-dev" gives
> "med-imaging-dev".
> I check "med-imaging-dev", but I did not dare modify anything (knowing
> my level of clumsiness...). It is a meta-package and seems to be based
> on some script (I rather let Andreas check what to do).

Yes, that's autogenerated, and you shouldn't need to worry about it.

> > What I don't understand is why you added Breaks+Replaces also to
> > libcamitk4, libcamitk4-data and libcamitk4-doc.
>
> I probably added the Breaks+Replace a bit too generously. My initial
> idea was that someone who had installed the libcamitk3-dev will end up
> after an upgrade with libcamitk-dev which means and might not need the
> libcamitk3 anymore (as libcamitk4 will be installed). But I am not sure
> I understood correctly...

libraries are usually installed as dependencies of other packages, hance
apt markes them as "automatically installed", they are then removed by a
`apt-get autoremove`.
Making 2 different ABI versions of the same library non coinstallable is
really only an hinderance.

> > Why is camitk-config in the library package at all?  (note that I
> > don't even know what it does!)
>
> camitk-config is a simple application that check the paths and installed
> plugins. It is required for development but also for diagnostic and test.
>
> Thanks again. Let me know if this is correct :
> - add a new camitk-config package that just have the camitk-config binaries,
> man pages and icon.

would it make sense to just put it in the -dev package instead?
I suppose it depends a lot on how much it is correlated to development,
your choice.

> - add a Depends:camitk-config to package libcamitk-dev
> - remove the Breaks+Replace for libcamitk4, libcamitk4-data and
> libcamitk4-doc
> - add "Multi-Arch: same" to libcamitk4
>
> Does it make sense?

yes.

> Would that be ok during upgrade to stretch?

well, we don't (usually) upload to stretch :)
We upload to unstable, then it migrates to stretch after few days.

--
regards,
                        Mattia Rizzolo

more about me:  https://mapreri.org                             : :'  :