[Debian-med-packaging] zstd upload

Kevin Murray kevin at kdmurray.id.au
Sat Sep 10 02:21:49 UTC 2016

Hi Afif,

Thanks for taking a look.

On 15:46 04/09, Afif Elghraoui wrote:
> Ok, I've found a couple issues that will incur rejection by the archive
> masters (at least the first definitely will).
>
> * The copyrights for zlibWrapper/* are not declared in d/copyright.

Fixed this I think, including the zlib-licensed files.

> * I believe some note should be made (probably a Comment: in
> d/copyright) regarding the grant of patent rights. Taking a look at one
> of the file headers (I'm looking at lib/legacy/zstd_v06.c, but I"m sure
> it's in all/most of the others as well--it's also mentioned in the README):
>
> ~~~
> This source code is licensed under the BSD-style license found in the
> LICENSE file in the root directory of this source tree. An additional
> grant of patent rights can be found in the PATENTS file in the same
> directory.
> ~~~
>
> You may want to copy that PATENTS file into d/copyright as part of the
> comment.

I made an attempt at this. I'm not at all legally aware, so I'm really unsure
of the implications of this. From the discussion on github [1] it seems all is
well and this is some blanket facebook policy for all their free software
projects. In any case, let's see what ftpmaster says.

> I've also adjusted the copyright year range for Yann Collet and removed
> -present for Facebook. The latter does not make much sense to me in the
> case of, for example, cessation of development by Facebook and the
> continuation by others.

Thanks for that!

Cheers,
Kevin