[Debian-med-packaging] Help needed to update libswiss-perl

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Apr 16 07:09:53 BST 2018

Hi Gregor,

On Sun, Apr 15, 2018 at 11:21:20PM +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 17:03:42 +0200, gregor herrmann wrote:
>
> > So during the package build Module::Build/Build.PL is used (because
> > debhelper prefers it over EUMM/Makefile.PL) but Makefile.PL manually
> > works.
>
> Update from IRC, quoted with permission:
>
> 22:12 <daxim> gregoa, I debugged the swiss-prot problem from
>               yesterday. it's indeed a simple build problem like the
>               symptoms hinted at. in the build.pl variant, the
>               blib/lib/SWISS/dr_ord file is missing. the software
>               works as designed; when someone added M::B support he
>               overlooked that M::B by default does not handle
>               extensionless filenames.

Thanks again for investigating this topic.  I think I understood the
advise given in the previous mail[1] to use

	dh $@ --buildsystem=perl_makemaker

I need to admit that the IRC message somehow smells like "There is an
even better solution" - but I have no idea how to turn this into a patch.
How can I add the extension less file to enable Module::Build detecting
it?  (General remark: It sounds a bit unusual on POSIX systems that
extensions should matter per default ...)

> So using the perl_makemaker build system should be fine indeed; maybe
> someone wants to contact upstream about the issue.

Sure.  I tried to contact the address given in d/copyright which
bounced.  I kept on searching at "advertising for programmers" platform
sourceforge and found some other e-mail which I've sent the information
to.  I'll try again to the addresses I've found in Build.PL once I will
fully understand the solution.

BTW, I have not read Perl policy but for my taste the source package
should have the same name as the binary package (libswiss-perl) and the
repository on Salsa should also be renamed to this.  Does this fit your
expectations when having Debian Perl team policy in mind?

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-perl/2018/04/msg00008.html