[Debian-med-packaging] [SPAM SUSPECTE] We are basically through libbpp* upgrade

Julien Yann Dutheil julien.dutheil at univ-montp2.fr
Wed Apr 18 20:20:29 BST 2018

Dear Andreas,

Thanks for all the efforts!
I have now prepared the release for bppphyview and physamp (so only
maffilter left...).
As for the bpp-phyl test failure, this looks like numerical precision
issues, again. Maybe you have some hints there: what this test does is
essentially to minimize a rather complex function, and makes sure that it
always find the same result. The problem is that this "result" varies from
one platform to another, because of numerical precision issues. I guess
this suggests that such tests are not very well designed, as they are not
robust to different platforms. Yet they are useful in the sense that they
do allow us to check that we did not break anything, at least on our
machines. What would you suggest in such case? Shall we just remove these
tests? I'm well aware this goes a bit beyond pure packaging issues, sorry
about that :s

Best regards,

Julien.

--
Julien Y. Dutheil, Ph-D
0 (+49) 6421 178 986

§ Max Planck Institute for Evolutionary Biology
Molecular Systems Evolution
Department of Evolutionary Genetics
Plön -- GERMANY

§ Institute of Evolutionary Sciences - Montpellier
University of Montpellier 2 -- FRANCE