[Debian-med-packaging] We are basically through libbpp* upgrade

Andreas Tille tille at debian.org
Wed Apr 18 20:41:59 BST 2018

Hi Julien,

On Wed, Apr 18, 2018 at 09:20:29PM +0200, Julien Yann Dutheil wrote:
> Thanks for all the efforts!

You are welcome.

> I have now prepared the release for bppphyview and physamp

Uploaded.

> (so only maffilter left...).

Waiting for your commits. :-)

> As for the bpp-phyl test failure, this looks like numerical precision
> issues, again. Maybe you have some hints there: what this test does is
> essentially to minimize a rather complex function, and makes sure that it
> always find the same result. The problem is that this "result" varies from
> one platform to another, because of numerical precision issues. I guess
> this suggests that such tests are not very well designed, as they are not
> robust to different platforms. Yet they are useful in the sense that they
> do allow us to check that we did not break anything, at least on our
> machines. What would you suggest in such case? Shall we just remove these
> tests? I'm well aware this goes a bit beyond pure packaging issues, sorry
> about that :s

I have not thoroughly inspected the logs but from what you write it
smells somehow like relaxing precision the test results that are
compared (= increasing the boundary that is considered a valid result).
If all else fails you could consider making the limit depend from a
variable that contains the architecture.

If you might hesitate to refine the tests in this direction it might
be an option to kick that test for the failing architectures.  Something
in debian/rules we used to kick the symbols file for most architectures
could call patch / sed / whatever for the failing architectures and
deactivate the test only there.

Does these ideas help or do you need more precise advise?