[Debian-med-packaging] Changes to adun.app

Yavor Doganov yavor at gnu.org
Thu Jan 11 15:37:47 UTC 2018

Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 06:00:09PM +0200, Yavor Doganov wrote:
> > I've made a few changes to adun.app.git recently;
>
> Thanks a lot for work on this package.

Many thanks for the upload.

> > I know absolutely nothing about molecular dynamics.
>
> I'm somehow in a similar position as you

Can you find someone who can help me?  Or direct me to a specific
mailing list where I can ask for help?  I need just a user with this
knowledge, he doesn't even have to be a Debian user.  Just for
consultations from time to time.

> > It is very unfortunate that upstream appears to be inactive.
>
> That's true and I'm afraid at some point in time we might need to
> remove the package from Debian.

As long as we can cope with the bugs I don't think we should go in
that direction.  Much to my regret many GNUstep packages share
adun.app's faith and the number of patches is growing.

My ultimate plan as pkg-gnustep maintainer is to create a meta-project
upstream, collecting all abandoned GNUstep packages and maintaining
them on a voluntary basis, making regular upstream releases.  That
way, they won't rot and at least will continue to build/run with the
current toolchain and GNUstep libraries without the overhead of
maintaining patches at distro level.  It would be beneficial for all
distros that provide GNUstep packages, including the *BSD folks.

The project could have strict rules that if/when the original authors
declare interest in their package, maintenance would be handed to them
immediately.  Something like a "rescue" project, similar in spirit to
Debian's QA Group.