[Debian-med-packaging] Changes to adun.app

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Fri Jan 12 08:24:48 UTC 2018

Hi Yavor,

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 05:37:47PM +0200, Yavor Doganov wrote:
> > Thanks a lot for work on this package.
>
> Many thanks for the upload.

You are more than welcome.

> > I'm somehow in a similar position as you
>
> Can you find someone who can help me?  Or direct me to a specific
> mailing list where I can ask for help?  I need just a user with this
> knowledge, he doesn't even have to be a Debian user.  Just for
> consultations from time to time.

One major purpose of the Debian Med project was to enhance the
communication between developers and users and the mailing list
debian-med at lists.debian.org is supposed to be the communication channel.
I admit that *very* few users are using this chance and that chances
that one of the popcon-reported users is lurking there tends to zero.
You can send a mail to the mailing list anyway (no need to subscribe
as per Debian list pollicy).

> > That's true and I'm afraid at some point in time we might need to
> > remove the package from Debian.
>
> As long as we can cope with the bugs I don't think we should go in
> that direction.  Much to my regret many GNUstep packages share
> adun.app's faith and the number of patches is growing.

I know you are very engaged in GNUstep and I really appreciate your
effort.  However, I'm afraid that the problem you are describing above
might be related to the fact that many people consider GNUstep a dead
horse and got off.  So my assumption is that it is not very probable
that this tendency will revert.

> My ultimate plan as pkg-gnustep maintainer is to create a meta-project
> upstream, collecting all abandoned GNUstep packages and maintaining
> them on a voluntary basis, making regular upstream releases.  That
> way, they won't rot and at least will continue to build/run with the
> current toolchain and GNUstep libraries without the overhead of
> maintaining patches at distro level.  It would be beneficial for all
> distros that provide GNUstep packages, including the *BSD folks.
>
> The project could have strict rules that if/when the original authors
> declare interest in their package, maintenance would be handed to them
> immediately.  Something like a "rescue" project, similar in spirit to
> Debian's QA Group.

I agree that the benefit would be good for all distributions but I'm
afraid you will stay quite alone with this valuable project.

Kind regards and thanks again for your work