[Debian-med-packaging] subread has in changelog: waiting for answer from upstream regarding segfault on derectionCall

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Wed Jan 30 16:01:51 GMT 2019

On Wed, Jan 30, 2019 at 04:52:48PM +0100, Alex Mestiashvili wrote:
> On 1/30/19 4:15 PM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> > Hi Alex,
> >
> > the changelog of subread in Git says:
> >
> >    TODO: waiting for answer from upstream regarding segfault on derectionCall
> >
> > I've build subread successfully and the test suite passes in chroot.
> > What exactly are we waiting for?
> >
> > Kind regards
> >
> >       Andreas.
> >

> Hi Andreas,
>
> subread 1.6.3 provides new binary "detectionCall" which segfaults.
> I guess it might expect some files or parameters as input, but no idea
> what, as even the documentation doesn't mention this new binary.
> Not sure if it is a good idea to ship package with broken binaries.
> I'll send another mail to upstream.

Ahhh, I see:

$ gdb /usr/lib/subread/detectionCall
GNU gdb (Debian 8.2-1) 8.2
Type "show copying" and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "x86_64-linux-gnu".
    <http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/documentation/>.

For help, type "help".
Type "apropos word" to search for commands related to "word"...
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/subread/detectionCall...Reading symbols from /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/e7/3763cb8cc2cd728a3353c922480b32aa752456.debug...done.
done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/lib/subread/detectionCall
Using host libthread_db library "/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libthread_db.so.1".

0x00007ffff7a6fc2e in fwrite () from /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6
(gdb)

For the moment I'd consider documenting this in README.Debian and
simply do not ship /usr/lib/subread/detectionCall.

What do you think?