[Debian-med-packaging] How are bed files created? (Was: trinculo_0.96+dfsg-1_amd64.changes REJECTED)

Matthias Klumpp matthias at tenstral.net
Fri Apr 10 05:07:57 BST 2020

Am Do., 9. Apr. 2020 um 20:31 Uhr schrieb Andreas Tille <andreas at an3as.eu>:

> Liubov,
>
> you are great! :-)
>
> On Thu, Apr 09, 2020 at 06:21:17PM +0200, Liubov Chuprikova wrote:
> > I have just checked the file and as Michael said during the Jitsi meeting,
> > Plink (in Debian) uses such a format. I just tried quickly and it's
> > possible to convert the file back to flat format:
> >
> > plink1 --bfile examples/genotypes --recode --tab --out genotypes --noweb
> >
> > and back to binary, here three files will be created: *.bed, *.fam, *.bim
> > (those are in examples folder):
> >
> > plink1 --file genotypes --make-bed --out genotypes --noweb
> >
> > So, the binary can be excluded and replaced by a flat version of the file.
>
> I'd recommend to put the text version in debian/tests and simply use
> this file.  It could be explained in debian/README.source.  So no need
> to strip the file from source tarball.
>
> Pranav, is this advise clear enough or should I implement it quickly.

Hmm, if those bed files can easily converted into their textual
representation (which presumably is their preferred form of
modification) just adding a hint that this is possible is probably
enough for Debian. We also permit gzip-compressed files in source
tarballs afterall: Those also have to be decompressed in order to work
with them and modify them, so their are not by-the-letter present in
their preferred form of modification, but that form can be created
with ease.
Having a note on what those files are and how to create them would
definitely help.

Cheers,
    Matthias