[Debian-med-packaging] Could someone please clarify release status of MUMmer? (Re: Additional info: can not see update note: MUMmer)

James Procter j.procter at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Apr 10 11:52:09 BST 2020

Hi All

On 10/04/2020 11:31, Andreas Tille wrote:

I can not comment on Ben's research.  Is there any bioinformatician who
could clarify what version of MUMmer should be sensibly packaged?

Maybe: as a general guide you should at least provide an equivalent of the most recent bioconda package:

https://bioconda.github.io/recipes/mummer/README.html

A quick literature search for citations to Mummer's canonical publication https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_ylo=2020&hl=en&as_sdt=2005&sciodt=0,5&cites=15093378899564891093&scipsc= suggested most researchers are using 3.23.

Watching the bioconda forum for updates is also useful to work out if there are significant improvements upstream.

Jim.

PS. Keep up the amazing work - all my time is taken up wrangling Jalview right now but I'll continue to monitor emails (at least) and delurk when I can contribute...

Dr JB Procter, Jalview Coordinator, The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology, School of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK.
+44 1382 388734 | www.jalview.org<http://www.jalview.org> | www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk<http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk>