[Debian-med-packaging] Could someone please clarify release status of MUMmer? (Re: Additional info: can not see update note: MUMmer)

Charles Plessy plessy at debian.org
Fri Apr 10 14:00:10 BST 2020

Le Fri, Apr 10, 2020 at 12:31:16PM +0200, Andreas Tille a écrit :

> I can not comment on Ben's research.  Is there any bioinformatician who
> could clarify what version of MUMmer should be sensibly packaged?

Hi Andreas,

The MUMmer4 paper claims full backwards compatibility with MUMmer3.
https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pcbi.1005944

I can not comment further on compatibility because I use LAST instead of
MUMmer...  But if we trust the authors, and the peer-reviewers who have
been satisfied with the version 4.00beta2 then it seems that an upgrade
would be a good way forward.  In case severe incompatibilities would be
revealed, one possible workaround would be to re-introduce version 3 as
a "mummer3" or "mummer-legacy" package…

Have a nice day,

Charles

--