[Debian-med-packaging] Could someone please clarify release status of MUMmer? (Re: Additional info: can not see update note: MUMmer)

James Procter j.procter at dundee.ac.uk
Fri Apr 10 15:55:57 BST 2020

Thanks for finding the mummer4 package, Ben.

On 10/04/2020 12:44, Ben Tris wrote:
I don't understand that search string, can't make up what exactly was searched on.

For the record, that link was to papers citing Kurtz 2004 - in scholar's usual unreadable api style.

The https://mummer4.github.io/ homepage cites the 2018 PLOS article as the canonical citation:

https://journals.plos.org/ploscompbiol/article?id=10.1371/journal.pcbi.1005944

This paper suggests two innovations for mummer4 - longer genomes (not directly relevant for covid19) and parallelisation. I would recommend prioritising mummer3 over 4 but ultimately the majority of bioinformaticians will prefer mummer4.

Slainté,

Jim.

Dr JB Procter, Jalview Coordinator, The Barton Group
Division of Computational Biology, School of Life Sciences
University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 5EH, UK.
+44 1382 388734 | www.jalview.org<http://www.jalview.org> | www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk<http://www.compbio.dundee.ac.uk>