[Debian-med-packaging] Applied patch in Debian packaging, please review (Was: [samtools/samtools] Replace Curses `mvprintw()` with `va_list`-based equivalent (#1509))

John Marshall John.W.Marshall at glasgow.ac.uk
Wed Oct 6 13:26:27 BST 2021

On 6 Oct 2021, at 12:47, Andreas Tille <tille at debian.org> wrote:
> I've took over you patch to the Debian packaging[1].  I consider it OK
> to wait with an upload until something else in this package needs to be
> changed but feel free to correct me and ask for an immediate upload.

In practice, especially in the long-frozen 0.1.19, curses_mvprintw() is always called with a fmt of "%-d" -- hence str will never contain a '%' character so the problem pointed out by the warning is merely a theoretical one anyway. So both patches are fine and both resolve the theoretical problem. So I concur: it's fine to wait for something else that justifies another upload.

For ongoing development, my patch is probably better as it simplifies the code and is more efficient (at the cost of using a wider variety of curses functions, but they are equally old curses functions so shouldn't cause any portability issues -- certainly not for Debian which controls the curses in use). For patching the old version, I would probably have just left it as your simple patch :-) (but either's fine).

Cheers,

    John