[Debian-med-packaging] seqkit 2.0 backport

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Thu Oct 14 06:23:08 BST 2021

Hi Andrew,

thanks a lot for contacting the list.

Am Wed, Oct 13, 2021 at 04:37:21PM -0400 schrieb andrew at robbinsa.me:
> I just spent a decent amount of time backporting seqkit 2.0.1 from testing to stable on my local machine due to its significant performance improvements. There were a few dependencies that needed backporting as well (golang-github-twotwotwo-sorts-dev, golang-github-shenwei356-bwt-dev, golang-github-shenwei356-bio-dev, golang-github-shenwei356-breader-dev, and golang-github-shenwei356-util-dev) but everything runs with no issue and no patch. I wouldn't mind maintaining this myself, but I thought I'd ask if there was any preexisting build infrastructure before posting over on the mentors list.

In any case there is no need to contact the mentors list.  In Debian Med
we coordinate here (or on debian-med at lists.debian.org which is more user
centric) and usually the sponsoring is done in less than 24h.

There is no real backporting infrastructure.  I'm using a small helper
script do_backport[1] which is a very simple hack and not heavily tested
but works in many cases sufficiently well (patches and enhancements
welcome as always ;-) ).

If you would do the backporting in Git and push the bullseye-backports
branch to salsa (we'd happily add you to med-team on salsa if you are no
member yet) sponsoring will be done quickly.  I personally do sponsoring
from salsa Git only (not from mentors) since this enables me to quickly
do changes if needed.

I've set Nilesh in CC who has done most of the golang packages - may be
he has some more comments.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/helper-scripts/-/blob/master/do_backport