[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Forking on MMSD

Christopher Talbot chris at talbothome.com
Fri Apr 16 02:12:27 BST 2021

Hello!

On Fri, 2021-04-16 at 08:46 +0800, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Fri, 2021-04-16 at 01:21 +0100, Wookey wrote:
>
> > I have no idea either. I was a little surprised that the ofono
> > codebase lives at kernel.org, which seems unexpected. Paul knows
> > everybody so may be better placed than me to make some relevant
> > contacts, but I don't mind blundering in and seeing if I can get
> > someone to take pity on you and unbung this situation. However I do
> > have deadlines right now so it'll be next week before I can find
> > some
> > time to try and work out who to pester. Very happy if someone beats
> > me
> > to it.
>
> I definitely do not know everyone and I especially do not know the
> Linux kernel or oFono communities.
>
> My best guess for the next step after a few more rounds of mmsd patch
> postings and Wookey's poking will be to escalate to the kernel.org
> webmasters to find out how to get access to abandoned projects.
>
> https://www.kernel.org/category/contact-us.html

That makes sense. I can wait for the result of what Wookey finds out
before I do much more with it.

> BTW, long term I think it more appropriate for mmsd (and everything
> really) to be hosted in vendor neutral locations like kernel.org or
> even just GitLab or GitHub, rather than in Purism's GitLab.

Understood. I think based on the outcome of what we find out from the
kernel.org will determine this. If I can commit to kernel.org, it is a
moot point. If not, I can find a vendor neutral location. I just
started hacking away at mmsd on their gitlab instance and it evolved
from there.

Respectfully,
Chris Talbot