[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Upstream Efforts

Chris Talbot chris at talbothome.com
Tue Mar 23 13:48:37 GMT 2021

Good Morning Evangalos,

> This should probably live on salsa.debian.org.

Fair enough. I cloned my repository:

https://salsa.debian.org/kop316/mmsd/-/tree/debian/latest

> Instead of removing -WError I think it would be better to see where
> the
> warning comes from and fix that :)

While I do agree with you (as that is good practice!), my understanding
of packaging mmsd at this time is to package upstream mmsd as close as
possible and only patch upstream mmsd enough to get it to compile
(which I interpret to mean do not patch warnings, only compiler
errors). Once mmsd is accepted into Debian, then I can start adding the
patches I have created to fix issues like this.

While I do not mind adding additional patches to fix warnings as well,
I feel like this conflicts with my understanding of the original
guidance. As such, could I get clarification on how much I should patch
upstream mmsd to get it accepted in Debian?

Respectfully,
Chris Talbot