[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Hi & interested in team

Diane Trout diane at ghic.org
Wed Apr 20 18:23:39 BST 2022

On Wed, 2022-04-20 at 14:36 +0200, Henry-Nicolas Tourneur wrote:
> Le mardi 19 avril 2022 à 17:11 +0200, Arnaud Ferraris a écrit :
> > Hi Diane,
> >

> Hello Diane, Arnaud,
>
> [...]
> >
> > > I've tried to update gnome-authenticator but am still stuck
> > > getting
> > > it
> > > to build.
> >
> > This is not an easy one indeed, and AFAIK it can't be packaged for
> > Debian currently due to missing build dependencies (Rust in Debian
> > still
> > needs some love, although things are constantly improving).
>
> Foreword: I am the maintainer for gnome-authenticator (currently
> maintaining it within DPT).
>
> Indeed, most GTK4 crates are now available but needs an update (the
> latest release is not in the archive) libadwaita crate (+ -sys)
> should
> also still be packaged.
>
> Beside those main ones, there will be few other dependencies left to
> be
> packaged too.
>
> I have also reached out to upstream to discuss the possibility to
> support a Python > Rust in place upgrade, without loosing user's
> data.
> I will create an issue on upstream gitlab so we can track this.

That's an excellent point and I'm glad someone's working on it.

Is there anything I could do that'd help get gnome-authenticator
updated? (Admittedly my knowledge of rust packaging was I managed to
follow the rust teams packaging guidelines and build a few prototype
packages)

If I have time should I make a stab at libadwaita/-sys and see if I can
get it to build?

> That's a good point: once a Rust release of gnome-authenticator could
> get uploaded, it would certainly no longer belong under the Python
> team. At that time, I am a bit unsure whether it should move under
> gnome team maintenance (it is not an official gnome app, it is under
> the World/ namespace on gnome gitlab) or just the debian/ salsa
> group.
>
> PS: Diane, I guess you meant "move out of the Debian Python team"?

Yes... it bothered my inner librarian to have a rust package filed
under the python namespace. It felt... misclassified.

Diane