[Debian-on-mobile-maintainers] Hi & interested in team

Henry-Nicolas Tourneur debian at nilux.be
Wed Apr 20 13:36:13 BST 2022

Le mardi 19 avril 2022 à 17:11 +0200, Arnaud Ferraris a écrit :
> Hi Diane,

Hello Diane, Arnaud,

[...]
> > I've tried to update gnome-authenticator but am still stuck getting
> > it
> > to build.
>
> This is not an easy one indeed, and AFAIK it can't be packaged for
> Debian currently due to missing build dependencies (Rust in Debian
> still
> needs some love, although things are constantly improving).

Foreword: I am the maintainer for gnome-authenticator (currently
maintaining it within DPT).

Indeed, most GTK4 crates are now available but needs an update (the
latest release is not in the archive) libadwaita crate (+ -sys) should
also still be packaged.

Beside those main ones, there will be few other dependencies left to be
packaged too.

I have also reached out to upstream to discuss the possibility to
support a Python > Rust in place upgrade, without loosing user's data.
I will create an issue on upstream gitlab so we can track this.

> > Also I think gnome-authenticator probalby should move out of the
> > Debian
> > team and probably over here (or maybe the gnome team) since
> > upstream
> > moved from Python to rust.
>
> It could be appropriate to move its maintenance to the gnome team
> indeed, as it's not a mobile-only app.

That's a good point: once a Rust release of gnome-authenticator could
get uploaded, it would certainly no longer belong under the Python
team. At that time, I am a bit unsure whether it should move under
gnome team maintenance (it is not an official gnome app, it is under
the World/ namespace on gnome gitlab) or just the debian/ salsa group.

PS: Diane, I guess you meant "move out of the Debian Python team"?

> Thanks for reaching out, and feel free to ping here or on Matrix/IRC
> (#mobian-dev or #debian-mobile) should you have any questions.
>
> Cheers,
> Arnaud

Best regards,