Comments regarding opencascade_6.3.0.dfsg.1-1_amd64.changes

Adam C Powell IV hazelsct at debian.org
Tue Jan 6 21:53:01 UTC 2009

Just curious, did you receive this email?  Was it helpful?  Do you need
more information?

I'm also curious about the meaning of "top level" in the original
message.  It can't possibly mean root directory of the source package or
the ros/ directory.  Perhaps the first "level" of the copyright file?
This includes files listed as Copyright Open CASCADE S.A. and others
Copyright Matra Datavision, the latter of which all precede the
relicensing and transfer of copyright to the new Open CASCADE S.A.

I look forward to your decision.

-Adam

On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 16:54 -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-12-29 at 17:35 +0000, Mark Hymers wrote:
> > Dear Maintainer,
> >
> > A while ago you were asked about the opencascade package in NEW and
> > I can't find a copy of any reply:
>
> That's odd, I have no record of such an email, and a full-text search
> for "datavision" turns up only this message...  Oh well.
>
> > ===========
> > Dear Maintainer,
> >
> > it seems that there are several files in the top level which
> > are licensed only under contract with Matrix Datavision, as
> > opposed to the bulk of the files with Open CASCADE Public
> > License. Is this just an artefact of the copyright handover
> > from Matrix to Open CASCADE?
> > ===========
>
> I'm afraid I can't find any such files.  The "top level" only has
> LICENSE and README, so I'm not sure I understand where you're looking.
>
> As far as I know, any such notes in files are an artifact of the
> copyright handover from Matra Datavision to its Open CASCADE S.A.S.
> former subsidiary.  The history of the code is described in
> http://www.opencascade.org/about/profile/history/ .  In particular,
> since that transfer in 2000, IBM has acquired Matra Datavision, and the
> French company Principia acquired Open CASCADE S.A.S.  This strongly
> implies that Open CASCADE S.A.S. is no longer a subsidiary of Matra
> Datavision, so the contracting arrangements you mention for files in the
> Open CASCADE distribution are almost certainly no longer valid.
>
> > Could you let us know the situation so that we can ACCEPT or REJECT
> > the package.
>
> This is encouraging; I take it this means that resolution of this issue
> will result in acceptance?
>
> Apologies for the delay, I don't know how your earlier communication
> failed to reach me.
>
> Thanks,
> -Adam

Engineering consulting with open source tools
http://www.opennovation.com/