Proposal: Debian Science mailing lists

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre at debian.org
Tue Jun 21 16:31:28 UTC 2011

Le mercredi 15 juin 2011 à 08:33 -0400, Manjusha Joshi a écrit :

> On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Brett Viren <bv at bnl.gov> wrote:
>         Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre at debian.org> writes:
>
>         > == Proposal ==
>         >
>         > I would like to propose the following:
>         > * move all packaging related discussions to
>         > debian-science-maintainers at lists.alioth.debian.org
>         > * use debian-science at lists.debian.org only for user oriented
>         discussions
>         > * make sure that all the commit mails are sent on
>         > debian-science-maintainers-commits at lists.alioth.debian.org
>         >
>         > Any comments / opinions ?
>

>         FWIW, your proposal is more in line with what I thought
>         debian-science
>         was about when I joined.  I haven't, personally, minded seeing
>         packaging
>         related discussions go by but I do think the two types of
>         discussions
>         would benefit from having their own venues.
> +1
> Benefit is we also get updates about packages and that is really
> useful for us.
> As Linux user cannot remain only user, need to do system admin level
> work also for scientific packages.
Well, I do not consider that as always true. Software like R or Scilab
can be used by normal users who do not care about packaging issues (or
admin work).

> Second thing is,  after making 2 separate list will there be increase
> in the user level queries? At present there are hardly user related
> queries.
I might be wrong but I feel like (it is the main idea behind this
proposal) that debian-science at lists.debian.org is too geek and too
packaging oriented for regular users.
If I was a regular user of scientific software, I would have
un-subscribed myself a long time ago since the ratio
scientific/packaging questions is very low.

Sylvestre