problem with cctbx

PICCA Frédéric-Emmanuel frederic-emmanuel.picca at synchrotron-soleil.fr
Sun Aug 5 15:07:02 UTC 2012

> I saw that you added links files. Can you explain why ?

> I want to get rid of the lintian warning in libscitbx-boost-python0
> were the soname is not representing the package name. Problem is that the files
> are called:
> libscitbx_boost_python-py*.so*
> I didn't want to overwrite the lintian warning and I oriented myself at the

it seems that the runtime package of boost use this override
picca at mordor:/usr/include/mmdb$ dpkg -L libboost-python1.49.0
/.
/usr
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/libboost_python-py32.so.1.49.0
/usr/lib/libboost_python-py27.so.1.49.0
/usr/lib/libboost_python-py26.so.1.49.0
/usr/share
/usr/share/lintian
/usr/share/lintian/overrides
/usr/share/lintian/overrides/libboost-python1.49.0
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/libboost-python1.49.0
/usr/share/doc/libboost-python1.49.0/NEWS.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libboost-python1.49.0/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libboost-python1.49.0/README.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/libboost-python1.49.0/copyright

cat /usr/share/lintian/overrides/libboost-python1.49.0
libboost-python1.49.0: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames

but ht e-dev package provide the link.
so maybe only with the -dev package.

> libboost-python-dev package were:
> /usr/lib/libboost_python.so -> libboost_python-py27.so

ok If this is the boost_python way, it is not a bad thinks to follow what they did.
If people need to link against this scitbx_boost_python. this is ok.

now if I remember correctly their is a mecanism usng rtupdate that allow to switch from one version of libboost to the other depending on the python runtime.
maybe it would be a good thing to mimic this also. I found only one ref for this [1].
I also looked at the boost-1.49 source package and yes it is a good example for rtupdate set up.

/usr/share/python/runtime.d
/usr/share/python/runtime.d/libboost-python1.49-dev.rtupdate
/usr/share/python/runtime.d/libboost-mpi-python1.49-dev.rtupdate

> Is that correct or should I remove it? Plan is to link debians default python
> version so developers can do a -llibscitbx_boost_python.

I think that is ok.

[1] http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/manoj-policy/x673.html