problem with cctbx

Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel picca at synchrotron-soleil.Fr
Mon Aug 6 13:44:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, 6 Aug 2012 15:04:42 +0200
Radostan Riedel <raybuntu at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 06. Aug 14:56, Baptiste Carvello wrote:
> > That doesn't mean we must package the .a now, but we may have to do so
> > later, either because of user requests, or because upstream insist that
> > they must be available.
> As for now libtool handles install of the libraries and it always creates and
> additional *.a file. It's not much work to take it in since it's only controlled
> by *.install file.

Yes I know at least one institut ;) which built most of its control
system with static libraries.
Let's wait for a bug report asking for the static libraries.

for this ABI stability it is right that providing a
static library could help users.

We should definitivly use the symbol files [1] to check about the ABI
stability. It ise a huge amount of work, but we can in a first time
generate thoses files and see whats append with the next upstream
upload.

please read also the
Essays from Russ Allbery about symbols files in C++ libraries at the end of the page

is advise it to not use the symbol file for a c++ library, but it is
very convenient when it comes to follow the API stability.

This is quite time consuming when you need to maintain the symbols
files for all the arch, but the pkg-kde guyes provides nice tools for this [2]

Cheers

Frederic

PS: I already uses symbols for one c++ library but I never used the pkg-kde tools.
maybe this is the right time :)

[1] http://wiki.debian.org/UsingSymbolsFiles
[2] http://pkg-kde.alioth.debian.org/symbolfiles.html
--
GPG public key 4096R/4696E015 2011-02-14
    fingerprint = E92E 7E6E 9E9D A6B1 AA31  39DC 5632 906F 4696 E015

GPG public key 1024D/A59B1171 2009-08-11
    fingerprint = 1688 A3D6 F0BD E4DF 2E6B  06AA B6A9 BA6A A59B 1171
uid  Picca Frédéric-Emmanuel <picca at debian.org>