Robotics simulation package (orocos?, stage?)

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Jun 3 09:11:22 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 02, 2013 at 08:35:04PM +0200, Anton Gladky wrote:
> Hello,
>

> On 06/02/2013 09:56 AM, Parménides GV wrote:
> > Hello to everybody,
> >
> >  I saw using "aptitude show science-robotics" that the recommended
> > package for robotics simulation is robot-player. I installed it, and I
> > was surprised that the man doc date is May 2009!!! I've also seen that
> > the project has been moved to github, and that it even got renamed to
> > "Stage". Can anybody package this new project?
>
> You can contact to a maintainer of this package [1] and ask him about
> that or (better) help him to do this work. The package does not belong
> to debian-science team, actually.

It might even be that the maintainer Michael Janssen is not even aware
that there is a Debian Science Blend team that tries to assemble
packages with relevance for different sciences in so called tasks.
Michael, could you confirm that you are aware of the work of Debian
Science?  Are you possibly interested to join this effort and move your
package into VCS as described in Debian Science policy[2]?  You might
also like to read how to contribute to Debian Science in the Wiki[3].

Regarding the original question from Parménides: The most
straightforward way to notify the author about new upstream versions is
to file a wishlist bug using `reportbug` against the package with
subject "New version available" and provide the information about the
new location and name. as you did above.

> >  On the other side, I've seen that "orocos" packages are in the
> > recommended section from science-robotics. They are not present in
> > Debian repositories!!! What happens with this? Why is it "recommended"
> > even if I cannot download it from repositories? I've seen
> > http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/robotics.ru.html and I
> > understand we may not have time to fix that, but my worry is that I did
> > a Google search in this mailing list archives and I didn't get *any*
> > result containing the word "orocos". Why is this possible? I thought I
> > would see somebody who was willing, at least in the far past, to upload
> > an orocos package to Debian official repositories, so that if I were
> > interested in continuing that job I could start in some point different
> > from scratch.
>
> The package should have somebody, who is interested to maintain the
> package. Otherwise the package is not be able to exist in Debian. If you
> ()or somebody else) prepare the orocos-package ready to be uploaded into
> the official archive, it gets the chance to be sponsored into the main
> repository.

+1

Debian is a DoOcracy so the doer decides what gets done.  If you are
really interested in doing something we could teach you how to package
and help you crawling the first hurdles.

> >  Another thing I would like to know, different from these two issues, is
> > if there is any irc room anywhere for this Debian Science group.
>
> #debian-science on irc.debian.org
>
> But I think, that the serious topics should be discussed on mailing list.

+1

> >  Thanks for all your job, and sorry if I was a bit hard with my words.
> > I've never written to a mailing list, but I'm sure this won't be the
> > last time ;)
>
> Please, do not forget, that Debian is a voluntary project and as any
> other similar project lacks manpower.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

[2] http://debian-science.alioth.debian.org/debian-science-policy.html