Robotics simulation package (orocos?, stage?)

Leopold Palomo Avellaneda leo at alaxarxa.net
Mon Jun 3 21:30:37 UTC 2013

A Diumenge, 2 de juny de 2013, Anton Gladky va escriure:
> Hello,
>
> On 06/02/2013 09:56 AM, Parménides GV wrote:
> > Hello to everybody,
> >
> >  I saw using "aptitude show science-robotics" that the recommended
> >
> > package for robotics simulation is robot-player. I installed it, and I
> > was surprised that the man doc date is May 2009!!! I've also seen that
> > the project has been moved to github, and that it even got renamed to
> > "Stage". Can anybody package this new project?
>
> You can contact to a maintainer of this package [1] and ask him about
> that or (better) help him to do this work. The package does not belong
> to debian-science team, actually.
>
> >  On the other side, I've seen that "orocos" packages are in the
> >
> > recommended section from science-robotics. They are not present in
> > Debian repositories!!! What happens with this? Why is it "recommended"
> > even if I cannot download it from repositories? I've seen
> > http://blends.alioth.debian.org/science/tasks/robotics.ru.html and I
> > understand we may not have time to fix that, but my worry is that I did
> > a Google search in this mailing list archives and I didn't get *any*
> > result containing the word "orocos". Why is this possible? I thought I
> > would see somebody who was willing, at least in the far past, to upload
> > an orocos package to Debian official repositories, so that if I were
> > interested in continuing that job I could start in some point different
> > from scratch.
>
> The package should have somebody, who is interested to maintain the
> package. Otherwise the package is not be able to exist in Debian. If you
> ()or somebody else) prepare the orocos-package ready to be uploaded into
> the official archive, it gets the chance to be sponsored into the main
> repository.

I was who recommend that project and I'm trying to package it. Also, the wiki
information of debian science (and blend) is still pending to make more
accurate information, but I'm really overflowed. I have to do it, but ..

Also, I have contacted with upstream because there's a conflict with a package
that they use (a forked version of liblog4cpp) They have a patched version
with real time extensions, so or they change the name or there were some
problem with the package names.

[...]
> Please, do not forget, that Debian is a voluntary project and as any
> other similar project lacks manpower.

Yes .....

Leopold

Linux User 152692     PGP: 0xF944807E