Blas vs atlas + openblas

ivo welch ivo.welch at gmail.com
Tue Jun 25 14:52:09 UTC 2013

hi silvestre:  you know this stuff way better than I do.  however, as
an amateur observation, even the basic precompiled atlas, which is
presumably limited, is still "only" 3 times faster than the standard
blas.

my suggestion is not for myself.  I know now that I should immediately
install an alternative like atlas.  instead, my suggestion is for the
sake of the general (student) public.  it would be great if you could
give them something better as a default, be it atlas or something
else.  the current highest priority blas default that ships with
debian/ubunt/mint is badly hobbled, and it impacts the science
performance in such higher-level languages as the binary R
distribution, which ordinary users won't realize.

(and, since I have you on the line, Dirk E posts a nice R 3.0.1 .deb
package on cran.)

best,

/iaw

----
Ivo Welch (ivo.welch at gmail.com)
http://www.ivo-welch.info/
J. Fred Weston Professor of Finance
Anderson School at UCLA, C519
Director, UCLA Anderson Fink Center for Finance and Investments
Free Finance Textbook, http://book.ivo-welch.info/
Editor, Critical Finance Review, http://www.critical-finance-review.org/