Blas vs atlas + openblas

Sylvestre Ledru sylvestre at debian.org
Mon Jun 24 20:47:58 UTC 2013

Hello,

On 24/06/2013 19:35, ivo welch wrote:

> Dear science team.  Would it make sense to give atlas higher priority
> than blas?
In a perfect world, we should do that.

> It is very solid, and my benchmarks indicate a speedup by a factor 3.
Sometimes, it is even to a 40 factor.

However, default build of atlas has most of the optimization disabled.
In Debian, we are targeting old CPU and atlas optimization are done at
build time and since it relies on the SSE optimization, we cannot enable
most of the optimization.

The "best" atlas package is the one rebuilt for your specific system
(see the documentation on README.Debian).

Now, we could discuss doing that with Openblas (AKA Gotoblas).

Cheers,
Sylvestre