Comments from ftpmaster regarding spdep Debian package

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Thu Jul 31 13:47:34 UTC 2014

On Thu, 31 Jul 2014, Andreas Tille wrote:

> Hi Roger,
>
> I'm very astonished that this thread which started with two very simple
> questions exagerated to such a time consuming discussion.

Most questions are not as simple as they appear, think ontologies. Mine
differs from yours. You haven't toød me why you need to package spdep
other than that another R package depends on (enhances?) spdep. I guessed
stargazer, but you ignored my question. I need to know why this matters.

> Since I read
> a lot of frustration in you mail and no chance to clarify things easily
> I just repeat the main point: inst/README says:

A frequently given reply for Debian/Ubuntu users of rgdal (R interface to
GDAL) is to avoid any and all pre-packaged Debian/Ubuntu packages and
similar dependency traps. The Debian/Ubuntu packaging of central GIS
software is so poor and tardy that it is a major problem for users.
Consequently I view any such packaging as unnecessary in principle and
practice, and that users should install from source on Linux/Unix,
especially CRAN packages and R itself, and crucial external dependencies.

> File: src/soigraph.c is copyright (c) 2001 by Nicholas Lewin-Koh and
> is subject to the licence at the foot of this file, but also contains
> subroutines TwoCirclesxx and SubVec, which are adapted for R and Double
> precision coordinates by Nicholas Lewin-Koh, from Computational Geometry
> in C, Joseph O.Rourke, Cambridge University Press (1998). Copyright for
> those subroutines remains his.
>
> Can you please confirm that the license is really GPLv2+?
>
>  [ ] yes
>  [ ] no

No idea, IANAL, I assume that the original author Nicholas Lewin-Koh
checked in 2001 when the code came into being that the license given was
adequate. My interpretation of the text in the file from which the
functions were taken is that it permits use and redistribution provided
that the copyright to J. O'Rourke is acknowledged, which it is.

Best wishes,

Roger

--
Roger Bivand