libQGLViewer and Qt5

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Mon May 4 13:04:50 UTC 2015

Dear Debian maintainers of libQGLViewer,

I am the Fedora maintainer of libQGLViewer, and I would like to share ideas
about ABI compatibility and about the Qt5 support of that package.

The upstream libQGLViewer already supports Qt5. The problem is that the
upstream name of the library does not change when it is compiled with Qt4 or
Qt5. That does not help the parallel installation of the two versions.

In the Fedora package, I plan to rename the Qt5 version to libQGLViewer-qt5.
For example, the .so files will be (on x86_64):
  - for Qt4:
     /usr/lib64/libQGLViewer-qt4.so
  - for Qt5:
     /usr/lib64/libQGLViewer-qt5.so

I will also add a symbolic link /usr/lib64/libQGLViewer.so, that will points
to the Qt4 version, for compatibility reason.

Do you have similar plans? If you do, I could try to suggest the upstream
author to apply that new naming convention in the upstream version.

For the ABI compatibility, I have found out that the ABI of that library
changes for each release. For that reason, I have decided to bump the SONAME
of the library at each version: for example for version 2.5.3, the soname of
the Qt4 version is "libQGLViewer.so.2.5.1", with the full version encoded in
the SONAME. Do you have comments/suggestions about that?

Best regards,

Laurent Rineau

--
Laurent Rineau