Spyder Package Details In Need of Update

C.A.M. Gerlach widenetservices at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 00:15:46 BST 2018

 Hello Mr. Vaillant and Debian/Ubuntu maintainers,

My name is C.A.M. Gerlach <https://github.com/CAM-Gerlach>, a member
of the Spyder
IDE <https://www.spyder-ide.org/> core dev team, and as part of the broader
effort in spyder-ide/spyder-docs#39
<https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder-docs/issues/39> I've been updating
our project links (as our main and docs site have both changed to a new,
modern version recently) and description around the web. As part of that,
I've updated our ``setup.py`` information and details on PyPI and
conda-forge, and I've been contacting maintainers of downstream packages to
help accomplish the same.

I see you are listed as the maintainers of the spyder, spyder3,
spyder-common, spyder-doc, python-spyder, python3-spyder, python-spyderlib,
python3-spyderlib, and python-spyderlib-doc packages for Debian
<https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=spyder> and Ubuntu
<https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keywords=spyder>; thanks for doing
that! Following the above, we'd like to let you know that those packages
link our development Github repo as our homepage, but we now have an actual
homepage available which would be much more likely to be of interest to
most users, with general information about Spyder along with our blog and
up-to-date documentation, as well as links to our Github, help resources
contact information, and much more. Therefore, if you could update our
primary homepage link to point to our main website,
https://www.spyder-ide.org/ , that would be great. If you have the
opportunity to include separate links to our development site and/or
documentation, those would be https://github.com/spyder-ide/spyder and
https://docs.spyder-ide.org/ respectively.

Also, if you'd like an up to date and standardized description to replace
the current one, that at least on Debian is out of date (referring to us as
"Pydee", a name we only used for a short while at the very beginning over
nine years ago), and contains several grammatical typos (e.g.
"light-weighted", "in a simple...software"), feel free to use a one-liner
like this one:

*Spyder is a powerful Python IDE combining the editing, analysis, debugging
and profiling functionality of a software development tool with the data
exploration, interactive execution, deep inspection and rich visualization
capabilities of a scientific environment like MATLAB or Rstudio.*

or our standard short-paragraph description:

*Spyder is a powerful scientific environment written in Python, for
Python,and designed by and for scientists, engineers and data analysts. It
features a unique combination of the advanced editing, analysis, debugging
and profiling functionality of a comprehensive development tool with the
data exploration, interactive execution, deep inspection and beautiful
visualization capabilities of an analysis package. Furthermore, Spyder
offers built-in integration with many popular scientific libraries,
including NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, IPython, QtConsole, Matplotlib, SymPy, and
more, and can be extended further with full plugin support.*

If its more convenient for you for packaging purposes, Spyder 3.3.1 (fixing
a number of important bugs and UX issues with 3.3.0 and earlier versions)
should be released in the next few days, so that would be a great
opportunity to implement the aforementioned changes.

Thanks!
CAM

*C.A.M. Gerlach*