Deal.II installation problems.

Matthias Maier tamiko at 43-1.org
Fri Sep 20 14:51:03 BST 2019

[Sorry for the broken reply-to]

Dear Gary,

> Hi,
>
> I've been using Deal.II for some time but have been having trouble
> with my, from source code, installation. I foundĀ  your back-ported
> libdeal.ii-9.1.1 and installed it with the usual apt-get. I found the
> doc section in theĀ  usual Debian place and finally found the files
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdeal.ii.g.so.9.1.1 and
> libdeal.ii.so.9.1.1. I setup the path $DEAL_II_DIR=
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/. I tried to compile step-1.cc with "cmake
> -G "Eclipse CDT4 - Unix Makefiles" . " . This should have created a
> MakeFile set for use with Eclipse IDE. Instead I got the following
> error:

This looks like you are missing the development package

  libdeal.ii-dev.

After installing this one (that will also install the header files and
cmake configuration) a simple

  cmake -G "..." .

should suffice. (No need to set $DEAL_II_DIR as the library is installed
in a system location.) You might also want to consider to install
libdeal.ii-doc to install the accompanying documentation (and example
steps under /usr/share/doc/libdeal.ii-doc/{examples|html}).

Best,
Matthias