GetFEM new upstream version and package renaming

Konstantinos Poulios logari81 at googlemail.com
Sun Apr 26 20:05:23 BST 2020

Hi,

This is about the update of the getfem package to the new upstream version
5.4. I would like to discuss the following points:

1) Renaming the produced binary packages. To follow the updated naming
preferences of upstream debian could:
- rename libgetfem5++ to libgetfem5
- rename python3-getfem++ to python3-getfem
- probably rename libgetfem++-dev to libgetfem-dev
- maintain the name libgmm++-dev
The reason for the renaming upstream is that only the gmm++ part of the
library is strictly a C++ one. Since the getfem library has different
scripting interfaces it was a bit misleading to have ++ in the name. [
http://getfem.org/]

I guess the transition package method has to be used for such a renaming [
https://wiki.debian.org/RenamingPackages].

2) The new upstream package incorporates an interface to GNU/Octave which
can be built with the --enable-octave configure option and octave as an
additional build dependency. I suggest packaging the new interface into a
new binary package with the name octave-getfem, generated from the same
source package.

3) Closed bugs/redundant patches with the new upstream version 5.4:
- closes debian #702370
<https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=702370>
- supersedes debian/patches/fix_blas_interface.patch
- supersedes debian/patches/drop_python2.patch
- supersedes debian/patches/fix_python3_tests_4fe9963c.patch
- supersedes debian/patches/fix_python3_tests_8dcd729f.patch

Best regards
Kostas