Comments regarding polyml_5.8.1-1~exp1_amd64.changes

Paul Richards Tagliamonte ftpmaster at ftp-master.debian.org
Tue Dec 1 02:07:16 GMT 2020

Howdy, maintainers!

One of our trainees spotted some issues in the debian/copyright
file that he wanted to pass along.

I've marked this package for accept, I personally err on the side
of having y'all fix this in the archive, given this is binNEW,
and the resulting tarball appears to still be distributable.

This is, however some policy points that ought to get addressed
as soon as you could.

Thank you very much!
  Paul (but actually our Trainee!)

-  d/c mentions
  Files: *
  License: LGPL-2.1

  In fact that should be LGPL-2.1+ for what I see in the vast majority of the
  files, although, effectively, some are LGPL-2.1(only). Source files in
  libpolyml are licensed with the two versions of LGPL and I gather that they all
  participate in the build of the same artifact. /Maybe a prod to
  upstream would be in place to clarify the licensing terms as I doubt there is
  any sensible reason as to how some files are + and other are (only).

- PolyPerf\PolyPerf.cpp has Copyright (c) 2011, 2019 David C.J. Matthews and
  d/c has: Copyright 1999-2016  David Matthews <polyml at polyml.org> (note year
  discrepancy.

- Analogous: RootInterpreted.ML, RootX86.ML, basis\ASN1.sml,
  basis\BasicStreamIO.sml, basis\FinalPolyML.sml, basis\Foreign.sml, ...

- basis\HashArray.ML has Copyright (c) 2000 Cambridge University Technical
  Services Limited, but d/c does not mention this.

- Analogous: basis\InitialPolyML.ML, basis\Universal.ML,
  basis\UniversalArray.ML, libpolyml\arb.cpp, and others.

- basis\Int32.sml has Copyright Vesa Karvonen 2007, but d/c does not mention it.

- basis\Word16.sml has Copyright   Domagoj Stolfa 2018, but d/c does not mention
  it.

- basis\Word32In64.sml has Copyright Achim D. Brucker 2006, but d/c does not
  mention it.

- Analogous: basis\Word32InLargeWord64.sml

- libpolyml\basicio.cpp has copyright CUTS 1983-2000, but d/c does not mention
  it.

- libpolyml\bitmap.cpp mentions "based on original code" with file name, but no
  copyright mentioned there.

- libpolyml\errors.h really is only Copyright (c) 2000-9 Cambridge University
  Technical Services Limited and is not in d/c

- d/c contains stanza

  Files: libffi/* but that should actually be libpolyml/libffi/* ?

- libpolyml\libffi\doc\libffi.info is Copyright (C) 2008, 2010, 2011 Red Hat,
  Inc., but d/c does not mention it.

- Analogous: libpolyml\libffi\include\ffi.h.in,
  libpolyml\libffi\include\ffi_common.h, libpolyml\libffi\msvc32include\ffi.h,
  libpolyml\libf~\msvc32include\fficonfig.h, libpolyml\libffi\src\alpha\ffi.c

- libpolyml\libffi\mdate-sh has Copyright (C) 1995-2013 Free Software
  Foundation, Inc. written by Ulrich Drepper <drepper at gnu.ai.mit.edu>, June 1995
  but d/c has nothing about it.

- libpolyml\libffi\src\aarch64\ffi.c is Copyright (c) 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 ARM
  Ltd., but d/c has nothing.

- Analogous: libpolyml\libffi\src\aarch64\ffitarget.h,
  libpolyml\libffi\src\aarch64\sysv.S