Status of MKL packages in debian - porting to Gentoo

Aisha Tammy gentoo.science at aisha.cc
Sun Oct 25 12:55:17 GMT 2020

On 10/25/20 2:46 AM, Mo Zhou wrote:
> Hi Aisha,
>
> Debian's MKL package is built from the standalone MKL package instead of
> the all-in-one parallel studio package:
> https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/intel-mkl/-/blob/master/debian/rules#L10
>
> Specifically, intel has released the standalone MKL package under the
> Intel Simplified Software License (ISSL). Maybe the other components in
> the parallel studio have different licenses that may complicate the
> packaging?

Thank you!!

This is good to know :)
Yes, you are correct. The "intel performance primitives" are 5 packages
which have other licenses and also available outside the parallel studio,
so those would be preferred for them.
The ICC, IFC compilers are not freely available.

> As a source-based distribution, adding mkl development files into
> the blas/lapack switch mechanism may cause problems. As the mkl-rt
> package contains only runtime libraries, it makes the packaging easier
> due the smaller number of files to deal with.

Actually this should not be a problem.
The blas-lapack switch only changed paths in the runtime ld.so search
file /etc/ld.so.conf.
So the compile time linker actually only builds against the
reference blas/lapack libraries.

> libmkl_rt.so has no soname, and Intel Simplified Software License
> prohibits modification to these binary blobs. As a result, if we point
> libblas.so -> libmkl_rt.so, once we `gcc foobar.c -lblas`, `readelf
> a.out` will show that `a.out` needs `libmkl_rt.so` instead of
> `libblas.so.3`, which breaks the blas/lapack switch.

Thanks a lot for the clarifications :)
I really appreciate it.
I'll keep working on this, hopefully theres nothing else problematic.

Best,
Aisha