Status of MKL packages in debian - porting to Gentoo

Mo Zhou lumin at debian.org
Sun Oct 25 06:46:52 GMT 2020

Hi Aisha,

Debian's MKL package is built from the standalone MKL package instead of
the all-in-one parallel studio package:
https://salsa.debian.org/science-team/intel-mkl/-/blob/master/debian/rules#L10

Specifically, intel has released the standalone MKL package under the
Intel Simplified Software License (ISSL). Maybe the other components in
the parallel studio have different licenses that may complicate the
packaging?

As a source-based distribution, adding mkl development files into
the blas/lapack switch mechanism may cause problems. As the mkl-rt
package contains only runtime libraries, it makes the packaging easier
due the smaller number of files to deal with.

libmkl_rt.so has no soname, and Intel Simplified Software License
prohibits modification to these binary blobs. As a result, if we point
libblas.so -> libmkl_rt.so, once we `gcc foobar.c -lblas`, `readelf
a.out` will show that `a.out` needs `libmkl_rt.so` instead of
`libblas.so.3`, which breaks the blas/lapack switch.