[Debian-science-sagemath] gap packages [+ LaTeX]

Jerome BENOIT calculus at rezozer.net
Tue Aug 8 09:38:10 UTC 2017

Hello,

On 08/08/17 04:23, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Hey, I have moved these to Suggests: instead. My reasoning is that they are sage "optional" packages:
>
> https://git.sagemath.org/sage.git/tree/build/pkgs/gap_packages/type?h=develop
> https://git.sagemath.org/sage.git/tree/build/pkgs/gap_packages/SPKG.txt?h=develop
>
> and it is not necessary for them to be installed, for the standard tests to pass.

I have nothing against, nevertheless I think that a clear policy must be set up here
because `Sage optional' may gather `Debian Recommends: and Suggests:'.

We may also consider a gap-sage package to gather gap packages expected by Sage.

Furthermore, I suggest to perform standard tests with them to check the good behaviour
of libgap-sage, which is mainly used by sage: as during the zeroth-packaging period,
specific bug may emerge.

Otherwise, if SageMath only deals with LaTeX through SageTeX then texlive-latex-base
should be removed from the Recommends: list.

> sagemath is quite large already and it is nice to allow users to install only parts of it, in case they don't have much disk space.

I did not check, but I guess that this package are relatively small.

> I hope this is OK, if not we can keep discussing it.

Cheers,
Jerome

--
Jerome BENOIT | calculus+at-rezozer^dot*net
https://qa.debian.org/developer.php?login=calculus@rezozer.net