[Debian-science-sagemath] Sage 7.6 testing migration blocked by giac

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Tue Jun 20 20:01:15 UTC 2017

On 06/20/2017 03:44 PM, Ximin Luo wrote:
> Tobias Hansen:

>>> If that works, we should start doing this routinely. But are you sure it
>>> really works? brial 0.8.5-4 and sagemath 7.4-6 migrated to testing
>>> together, but that was because this sagemath version was uploaded after
>>> brial and depended on the brial version.
>> No that doesn't make sense. Seems like it was the Breaks that caused
>> them to migrate together.
>>
> There's some more detailed info here which is where I got that from:
>
> https://www.debian.org/devel/testing
>
> It talks about "breaks" in the general sense and mentions when Depends: gets broken. I assumed this also includes explicit Breaks:, but it doesn't mention this specifically. Unfortunately number (4) and (5) reasons don't get displayed explicitly on the "migration excuses" page.

Even if britney notices conflicts created by Breaks, this is not that
well suited for what we want to do, because Breaks is only for relations
between binary packages, not source packages. For some packages I think
it's not even possible to create a conflict.

Take for example a library, fplll.
No binary package from sagemath depends on libfplll-dev, so it's not
possible to create a conflict by adding "Breaks: sagemath (<< 8.0~)" to
libfplll-dev.
No binary package from sagemath 7.6 depends on libfplll3 (they depend on
libfplll2), so it's not possible to create a conflict by adding "Breaks:
sagemath (<< 8.0~)" to libfplll3.

However, if this fplll package migrates to testing, it's no longer
possible to build sagemath 7.6 in testing.