[Debian-science-sagemath] Removal of python-rpy2

Tobias Hansen thansen at debian.org
Sun Sep 3 14:54:32 UTC 2017

On 09/03/2017 02:28 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> | Is it now suddenly impossible to provide python-rpy2?
>
> I am afraid so.
>
> | Could you please bring it back?
>
> That would be a departure from upstream I do not think serves anyone.
>
> Can you within sagemath add it as a local component?

I think the way to go is to introduce a new package rpy2-2.8 that builds
only python-rpy2 for Python 2. That's not deviating from upstream and
sagemath is using rpy2 2.8 anyway. Do you want to maintain this or shall
we (the sagemath team)?

On 09/03/2017 02:34 PM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> it sounds as a race issue.
>
> When SageMath will switch to Python 3 ?

They are working on it and they know that other projects have announced
to stop supporting Python 2, for example on http://www.python3statement.org/
That page also has a chart that lists rpy2 2.8 as supported during 2018
with Python 2 support.