[Debian-science-sagemath] Removal of python-rpy2

Laurent Gautier lgautier at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 16:12:30 UTC 2017

> On 09/03/2017 02:28 PM, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> > | Is it now suddenly impossible to provide python-rpy2?
> >
> > I am afraid so.
> >
> > | Could you please bring it back?
> >
> > That would be a departure from upstream I do not think serves anyone.
> >
> > Can you within sagemath add it as a local component?
>
> I think the way to go is to introduce a new package rpy2-2.8 that builds
> only python-rpy2 for Python 2. That's not deviating from upstream and
> sagemath is using rpy2 2.8 anyway. Do you want to maintain this or shall
> we (the sagemath team)?

Just a note: I don't know how well Python will handle several versions of
the same package.

> On 09/03/2017 02:34 PM, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> > it sounds as a race issue.
> >
> > When SageMath will switch to Python 3 ?
>
> They are working on it and they know that other projects have announced
> to stop supporting Python 2, for example on http://www.python3statement.
> org/
> That page also has a chart that lists rpy2 2.8 as supported during 2018
> with Python 2 support.

There is no plan to remove older rpy2-2.8.x releases on pypi. The support
for Python 2 means that critical bugs will be fixed and minor releases in
the 2.8.x series will be made. 2018 is coming soon though, and I'll likely
accept pull requests after that date.