[Debian-science-sagemath] cysignals 1.7.2

Jerome BENOIT calculus at rezozer.net
Fri Aug 17 14:16:28 BST 2018

On 17/08/18 15:20, Julien Puydt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le 17/08/2018 à 12:05, Jerome BENOIT a écrit :
>> On 16/08/18 07:13, Julian Rüth wrote:
>>> Hello Jerome,
>>>
>>> * Jerome BENOIT <calculus at rezozer.net> [2018-08-11 10:59:51 +0400]:
>>>
>>> The problem seems to be that signals.pxd is created from signals.pxd.in
>>> in the wrong directory.
>>
>> more precisley, it is asked to be created in the wrong directory.
>
> No. As a built file, it is supposed to be there.

This is my point.

 Those places which assume it is with the sources are wrong and should be fixed.

I am agree.

>>> It is expected to live next to signals.pyx which
>>> is in src/cysignals. But you are now calling configure from build/bare/
>>> and so signals.pxd is generated in build/bare/src/cysignals.
>>
>> this is expected within the autotools world.
>>

>>> Why do you have to cd to build/bare before calling configure?
>>
>> because I build in build/bare/ and build/pari .
>>
>> Can we set up an environment variable here ?
>
> See above : the places which try to find a built file within the source tree are wrong.
>
> The rationale is simple : if it is built, it's not a source file anymore! And it might not be the same depending on the options passed to the configure script...
>
> This is called "out of tree" build.

This is exactly what I am doing.

 It means that with the *same* *readonly* source tree, you can do, from two terminals:

> term1$ mkdir build_opt # wherever you are!
> term1$ cd build_opt
> term1$ /path/to/sources/configure --opt-options
> term1$ make
>
> term2$ mkdir build_debug # idem
> term2$ cd build_debug
> term2$ /path/to/sources/configure --debug-options
> term2$ make
>
> and things should just work. If they don't, there's something to fix.

exactly ! This is the way the autotools machinery works.

But this is not the way Python and its friends work:

this is the real issue here:

Jerome