[Debian-science-sagemath] Installing SageMath on Ubuntu

Samuel Lelièvre samuel.lelievre at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 21:14:20 UTC 2018

Dear debian-science-sagemath,

this question is from someone with very little knowledge about
Linux, Debian, Ubuntu... but I like to help people install Sage,
and feel like I am missing a piece of the puzzle when it comes
to installing on Ubuntu, which as I gather is based on Debian.

Does the packaging of SageMath for Debian provide Ubuntu
users with a simple way of installing SageMath?

If I understand correctly, there used to be a dedicated Sage PPA
package for Ubuntu, maintained by Jan Groenewald and made
available at the African Institute of Mathematical Sciences (AIMS)
but this effort was abandoned after SageMath was successfully
packaged for Debian.

What I am missing is an overview of how Ubuntu users can take
advantage of the Debian packaging of SageMath.
- what would be the instructions for installing on Ubuntu?
- would that work with any version of Ubuntu? or for which?

Thanks in advance for any hints, and if this is not the right place
to ask, my apologies and please tell me what would be a more
appropriate place to ask this question.

Kind regards,
Samuel